8/1/14

Great free family AV/Anti Trojan Solution

I just finished setting up OpenDNS as part of my family's internet protection.  I use a few products and have been virus/trojan free for years, but I have found it difficult to get the rest of my family into the habits I use to stay clean.

I do hate having to go into a pc and clean out trojans and other infections.  I believe that I have put together a good toolkit and will share it.

1. Spybot Search and Destroy - I use the personal free edition

2. HiJack This - Free

3. Microsoft Security Essentials - I know it is MS, but it seems to work well and is free (I always likes ESET nod32 if you want a paid solution)

4. SpywareBlaster - free edition

5. OpenDNS - installed, or should I say configured, via web and through the router.

With all but OpenDNS, you will need to remember to do updates manually, I have a 30 day reminder set.  If you want auto updates you can pay for the services.

No guarantees, but this seems to be a fairly solid setup.  I am open to suggestions

No comments: